Top 10 Anti-Itch Creams to Sooth Bites and More
Everyone deals with itchy, irritated skin at one point or another. Allergic reactions, bug bites, skin sensitivities, and more all have one thing in common: you'll want to find relief as soon as possible!
Summertime itchy skin is common due to poison ivy, mosquito bites, heat rashes, and contact dermatitis, but itchy skin can also be due to chronic conditions such as eczema, allergic reactions, or simply dry skin.
Fortunately, there are various over-the-counter anti-itch creams available to bring relief to your itchy skin.TYPES OF ANTI-ITCH TREATMENTS
This ingredient fights skin inflammation. Over-the-counter products that contain hydrocortisone, a topical steroid, can be applied to the skin to relieve itching, but are only meant for short-term use, as topical steroids can cause side effects.
Using hydrocortisone cream for more than two weeks is not recommended. If the problem persists, talk with your doctor about alternative treatments.
- Topical Anesthetics
These products do not reduce inflammation by themselves, but when paired with other ingredients, they can have an anti-inflammatory effect.
Topical anesthetics work by numbing the area so you don't feel the itching anymore, allowing the skin to heal without any further trauma caused by scratching. Anesten and Dr Numb are topical anesthetics that will help relieve itching and swelling of the skin.
- Cooling Creams
Skin irritation and inflammation can be reduced by cooling the skin. Menthol/phenol creams provide a cooling effect on the skin that helps combat the sensation of itching.
Colloidal oatmeal is a natural remedy with soothing, anti-inflammatory qualities for irritated skin.
- Topical Antihistamines
These products battle the effects of histamine, a chemical produced by the body that can cause itching. One example of a topical antihistamine is diphenhydramine or Benadryl.
TOP 10 ANTI-ITCH CREAMS
- Cortisone 10 Maximum Strength: Contains hydrocortisone and works great for mosquito bites or mild cases of poison ivy
- Benadryl Gel: This histamine-blocking gel can bring soothing relief to itching caused by outdoor issues such as bug bites, poison ivy, and contact allergies
- Gold Bond Multi-Symptoms Medicated Itch Relief Cream with Lidocaine: This cream contains 4% lidocaine for powerful pain and itch relief and can help with bug bites, minor burns, sunburn, minor cuts, scrapes, and allergic contact dermatitis
- Anesten Lidocaine Cream: This cream contains 10.56% lidocaine and not only reduces pain, but it also works as an anti-inflammatory agent
- Aveeno Anti-Itch Concentrated Lotion: Contains triple oat complex and natural colloidal oatment, making this lotion a powerful tool in your medicine cabinet for relieving itching, rashes caused by poison ivy, and dry skin
- Dr Numb Anesthetic Cream: This cream contains 5% lidocaine, reduces inflammation, and works as a skin protectant
- Aveeno Eczema Therapy: Aveeno's anti-itch cream contains soothing colloidal oatmeal, which is great for anyone with eczema or dry skin
- Eucerin Skin Calming Cream: This oatmeal-enriched cream provides all-day relief from itchy, dry skin, going on smooth and never sticky
- CeraVe Moisturizing Cream for Itch Relief: This gentle cream is a great option for dry skin, bug bites, and sunburn
- Nothing Cream from H2Ocean: This cream contains 4% lidocaine and is sea-salt-based, soothing the skin and promoting fast, early healing for minor burns, sunburns, minor cuts and scrapes, itching, and dry skin
With the above options for skin irritations and itching, you can more confidently enjoy your outdoor activities!